Hazard Perception Test
Some of us can spot a hazard and some of us can't!
So, what is Hazard Perception?
- It's the ability to recognise, as early as possible, any
situation that might cause you to take appropriate action
- And to take the appropriate actions, correctly and in
The basic actions are:
- Changing speed
- Changing direction
But this really is only a BASIC approach to the concept of
Put another way it's the ability to scan the
road ahead and behind and:
- Identify potential hazards quickly
- Anticipate the actions of others
- Take the correct action early and safely
Why was this additional test introduced?
- New drivers can take as much as two
seconds longer to identify a potential hazard
- Your reactions as a new driver may
- But a more experienced driver will identify
the hazard much earlier and might avoid a
How is the test conducted?
- You'll be shown a series of video clips involving motor
vehicles, pedestrians and cyclists
- You'll need to identify potential hazards accurately
within a certain time frame
People who read this page also looked at: